When can I enroll for Medicare in Rhode Island?
You can apply for Medicare when you turn 65 during your Initial Enrollment Period (IEP). This is the 7-month period that begins 3 months before you turn 65 and ends 3 months after the month you turn 65. For example, if your birthday is July 10, your IEP is from April 1 to October 31.
How do I enroll?
To enroll, the first step is to call your local Social Security Administration office or visit MyMedicare.gov.1 Click here1 for a listing of Social Security office locations in Rhode Island.
When applying, you must provide the following documents:
- An original or certified copy of your birth certificate
- W-2 forms you have received over the last two years
- Your Social Security card or number
To enroll in a Medicare Advantage health insurance plan, you must be enrolled in Original Medicare Part A and Part B. You can sign up directly with the Medicare Advantage plan of your choice, as long as they are in your service area.
Some people get Part A and Part B automatically
The Social Security Administration will sign you up for Medicare Parts A and B automatically under the following circumstances:
- You turn 65 and already get Social Security retirement benefits, Railroad Retirement Board Benefits, or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).
- You’re under 65 and have a disability. You’ll automatically get Part A and Part B coverage 24 months after you start getting disability benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board.
- You have ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also called Lou Gehrig’s Disease). You’ll get Part A and Part B as soon as your Social Security disability benefits begin.
Need more information?
Rhode Island residents may also get counseling on Medicare’s benefits and costs from the Rhode Island State Health Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (SHIP). This program is funded by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Visit the website at Rhode Island SHIP.1
Sources: When you click these links, you will leave the Commonwealth Care Alliance website
1 When you click this link, you will leave the Commonwealth Care Alliance website.
Apr 6, 2022
Apr 6, 2022
Mar 4, 2022
8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET, Monday through Friday, and 8:00 am to 6:00 pm ET, Saturday and Sunday