Skip to main content
Community Resources

Community health resources: A guide for our Michigan members

December 26, 2023
Share This Story
CCA Health MI employees volunteering at Gleaners Food Bank, putting food inside of boxes

As we get older, it’s normal to require more help and support. At CCA Health Michigan, we want to help our members age well and stay independent. The good news is no matter where you live, there are agencies and non-profit organizations dedicated to helping older adults in the community.

Each state has an agency dedicated to providing seniors with the support they need to live independently and thrive as they age. These agencies offer services that help seniors stay connected and live their best lives. Services include in-home support, nutrition assistance, adult day centers, legal advice, adult protective services, transportation, housing, and more.

Other programs offer financial assistance to low-income households to help with utility bills. For those caring for a loved one, there are special programs to support caregivers.

Food insecurity is a common concern among seniors. By working with community agencies, you can ensure your loved one’s nutritional needs are met.

In addition, a variety of in-home services are available to help seniors remain happy and independent. Services include home health visits, 24-hour crisis lines, and even companion programs.

We’ve put together this guide for our members in Michigan so you can have easy access to the services that will help you stay well and independent.

Community Resources in Michigan

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services: This agency provides a variety of services to help older adults live in the home of their choice for as long as possible. It offers help with in-home support services, access to community service agencies, nutrition services, and more. Call 517-241-3740 or click here.

MI Bridges: This state program offers a variety of benefits for residents of Michigan, including assistance with healthcare coverage costs, food assistance, and cash assistance to those who qualify. Click here for more information.

Food and Nutrition Assistance

In-Home Care Support Programs

Michigan’s Home Help program is designed to support individuals who wish to live independently in their home. For an overview of services and a list of local county Michigan Department of Health & Human Services offices that can connect you or your loved one with help, click here.

Help with Utility Bills

The State of Michigan Energy Assistance Plan offers help to individuals who are having trouble paying for their heating costs. Call Michigan’s 211 line or go to this website to learn about agencies in your county that may assist with your energy bill.


Disaster Relief and Recovery Centers

The FEMA Helpline can be reached at 800-621-3362 (TTY: 711). Video Relay Service is also available.

Michigan Emergency Management and Homeland Security is responsible for coordinating disaster relief and recovery efforts in the state. Contact the Michigan Emergency Management Association here.

Caregiver Support: Childcare and Elder Care

There are several programs available for caregivers in Michigan. Click here to learn more.

Elder Abuse Reporting

Call 855-444-3911 to report elder abuse.


Seniors and disabled riders in Michigan have a range of transportation options. Mobility Managers can help people find the best option for them. Click here for more information.

Legal Advice

The Legal Hotline for Older Michigan Citizens provides Michigan residents aged 60 and older with advice on issues such as Medicare and Medicaid, Social Security, medical bills, wills and probate, real estate, personal injury, landlord/tenant relations, family, and automobiles. The hotline can be reached at 800-347-5297. 

Mental Health and Substance Use

Volunteer Opportunities

Share This Story

Related Articles

We’re here to support you

866-610-2273 (TTY 711)
8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET, 7 days a week